1303 1/2 Hillside Ave Austin TX 78704
The Hillside Residence is a substantial renovation and expansion of a 1927 bungalow. The existing, 1,000 sf home was rescued from dilapidation and delineated abstractly in stark white, and paired with a new, 1,170 sf sculptural volume clad in black-stained cypress, connected via a glass entry bridge. Akin to Marcel Breuer’s 1943 proposition for a Bi-Nuclear House, the home is split into two zones; one for living and socializing, and the other for concentration and sleeping – and by entering in the middle, both sides appear in dialogue with each other.
The renovation respects the existing building's character, maintaining the discrete, inward focus of a collection of rooms. The expansion, by contrast, is characterized by openness, spatial continuity, and abstraction. Lumber from the existing was salvaged and repurposed throughout, from shiplap accent walls to counters made from long leaf pine beams to the split-cedar entry steps from the original house piers.